Thursday, November 13, 2008

Things That Go Bump in the Night

I had actually gone up to bed early last night, intending to watch tv, but I was restless. The dogs had already gone soundly to sleep, so I slid out of bed and went downstairs to play another round of Chainz2, my latest computer game addiction. The tv was off, the lights were all out, the animals were all quiet and the house was still. I even had the sound turned down on the game.

I was semi-comatose when I heard rustling outside the window and something brushed against the house. Adrenaline rush as I contemplated what I should do.

My first thought was a burglar. Nah, it was too early for burglars. Still regular traffic up and down the street.

My next thought was that another group of kids had targeted my house for egging. I listened hard, but nothing hit the house.

Another rustling, another bump.

I decided to turn on the outside lights and see if I heard anything run. I turned on the outside lights.

Another rustling, another bump.

Cautiously I peered out the window.

The biggest, fattest armadillo I've ever seen up close and personal was snuffling in the front yard, rooting for whatever it is armadillos root for.

Whew. I swallowed the lump in my throat and went upstairs and put my head under the covers.

Funny thing. When I went to sleep, Mojo was snuggled close on my right side and Coco was snuggled close on my left side. When I woke up, they had switched positions and I have no idea how they managed that without waking me up. There are some decidedly weird things going on around this house after dark.

LSW

No comments: