Friday, April 08, 2005

Travel Journal, day 3

Today was my day for chasing wild geese. I had some kind of idea that I might be able to find a marriage record that has eluded me for years. Some new information had led me to believe that a concentrated hunt in southern Missouri would pay off. Hah. After three hours I conceded defeat. I've about come to the conclusion that the couple in question were just living in sin.

But I shifted gears and located a marriage I didn't even know about, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

About 4 o'clock we stopped for lunch and wandered down to Lamb's Grill Cafe, a 3 block hike. And it is a hike. Salt Lake City blocks are at least twice the length of Austin blocks. The restaurant doesn't look like much on the outside, but inside is quietly dignified and soft music from the 1940s sets a relaxed mood. The food is good, the atmosphere is peaceful and it's a great place to wind down after a wild goose chase has stretched your patience.

On the way back, we made a pleasant discovery. Edinburgh Castle, a little shop we happened upon, was full of items to tempt someone of Scottish descent. I never find much in these places because my Clan MacFie/MacPhie is a rather obscure bunch. But I did find a scarf, a tie, and a kilt pin.

The afternoon was spent prowling through court records on microfilm. We stayed to the last minute and then made our way to the hotel restaurant for a round of pie ala mode and coffee. Perfect way to end the day.

The weather ran the gamut today, starting with chilly drizzle and ending with clear, brilliant skies and crisp, cool air. Everyone immediately turned on the central heat. Since I stay overheated these days, it gets pretty warm at those microfilm readers. I think I will be shopping for one of those fans that plug into your USB port. I could sure use one on this trip.

Tomorrow we will be starting bright and early and I expect we will close the library again tomorrow night. It's fun and it's tiring. And I'm already looking forward to the next trip.

LSW

No comments: