Sunday, April 06, 2008

Willie's the Man

A couple of years back I wrote about my experience attending the first official Willie Nelson 4th of July Picnic. This morning there is a long article about the history of the Picnic in the Austin American-Statesman. They included a picture of the advertising poster for that first picnic.

I had totally forgotten that Tom T. Hall was there that day. I remember the rest of them, plus Billy Joe Shaver and Charlie Rich. Today's recap article captured the essence of that day: "The first picnic, in Dripping Springs in 1973, is remembered fondly by Willie, but was a financial bust and an endurance struggle for fans". Can't vouch for Willie, but the endurance struggle is accurate. Again, I wouldn't trade that experience, but once was enough for this gal.

Hard to believe that was 35 years ago.

LSW

No comments: