Saturday, March 01, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture?

I participate in a private website run by a distant Hodge cousin and that allows all the members to upload photos and maintain conversation threads. We are all involved in researching the same Hodge roots, but we also just visit back and forth in between the research finds. A couple of weeks back, the webmaster loaded a group of photos that were a study of hands. A single pair of hands, multiple sets of joined hands, etc. It got me thinking about a picture in the family archives and this morning I hunted it out and added it to this cousin's collection.

This photo was taken in May 1950 at Mary Hardin-Baylor College. A photography student, Shirley Heron, enlisted the aid of my mother (the smaller hands in the lower position) and her roommate, Ola Joyce Springer (the larger hands above), in posing the photo.

I always thought it was an interesting photo, but when I was editing the scan to resize and reduce age spots, I realized something I had never noticed before. This must have been a multiple exposure, because there's no way they could have posed to create the photo as it appears. I leave it to you to figure out why.

LSW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Must be hell to go through life with one thumb on the wrong side of your hand.