Sunday, March 23, 2008

Blatant Display of Disrespect

So, while I was in the process of trimming and watering plants and generally getting the decks back in order for the brief period of time to enjoy them before the mosquitoes hit, I discovered a suet cake in the pantry and put it out for the birds to enjoy. They were a bit miffed at all the time I spent yesterday messing around underneath their feeders, so I figured they deserved a treat.

About an hour later, I looked out on the deck and discovered our resident squirrel had opened the cage that houses the suet and dragged the entire cake into the middle of the deck, where he was gorging himself. I did not want to let the dogs out to chase him off, because I didn't want them getting into the suet. I think the little devil figured that out, because he proceeded to eat his suet, smacking his lips, just outside the glass door. The two dogs were furious at his complete disregard of their barking threats.

When he had decided he was in no danger, he proceeded to put on quite a show. He would eat awhile, then get up and dance around the deck railing. At one point he turned his back and lifted his bushy tail and, I swear, mooned the dogs.

He ate and ate until he could hold no more and then got back on the railing, where he proceeded to slide around on his belly, wiping his greasy mouth clean. He sauntered over to the corner where I have a small wind chime hanging and reached up and played with the tubes. A little after dinner music, I guess.

It was all pretty funny and I couldn't help but laugh at his audacity. He was having a grand time and I'm not sure which he enjoyed more - the suet or the impotent fury he instilled in two little dogs. Try as I did, I could not get a picture of him that wasn't blurry.

By the end of his show, poor Coco was nearly hyperventilating with frustration. Mojo was mouthing off his disgust with the situation. Mom was shaking with silent laughter.

Who needs the movies? We have plenty of entertainment in our own back yard.

Oh, yes, he was back this morning looking for more, so I guess he didn't get a tummy ache from his indulgence.

LSW

No comments: