Monday, June 13, 2011

Before and After

Oh, the joy of getting a working washing machine back on the premises! Not a minute too soon, either. The bathtub was about to overflow with dirty clothes. I just could not face another trip to the laundromat, so when the hamper began to bulge at the seams, it all began to pile up in the tub.

I was given a delivery window of 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. today. I was just about to break into a nervous sweat when the truck finally rolled into the driveway at 5:05. One skinny little guy with a power lift and a dolly had the new appliances unloaded and installed and the old appliances loaded for removal inside of an hour.

The utility room before:

and after:

I've already done 3 loads of laundry and I'm delighted with how quietly these new units run and how quickly the dryer turns out fluffy, soft towels.

The first load had barely started when Boo discovered that the lids are clear and he can see the clothes swishing back and forth. I have to admit that I stood and watched the first load run, too. This new machine has flashing LED lights and the spin cycle is fast and vigorous. There is no agitator and it seems like it holds a ton of clothes without that obstacle in the middle. The show was much better than anything on television tonight.

Also new on the scene is a high-falutin' electric range. I failed to get a picture of the old one on the way out. When the electricians came to put in the new plug (the old stove was direct wired into the house and you're not supposed to do that anymore), one of the guys asked if he could have the old stove and I grabbed the chance to get it out of my sight. So, I lived with a gaping hole in the kitchen for the last week:

The new stove is big and black and CLEAN. It may be awhile before I can bring myself to cook in it, although I did boil some water and heat some buns tonight, just to prove everything works. It has a small oven and a larger convection oven. It also has lots of flashing lights and beeps. I would not be surprised if it talks.

No more ugly gap:

I guess I am going to have to make a batch of cookies or a coffee cake this weekend and see what kind of a job that convection oven will do. First, though, I have to read the enormous manual that came with it. High tech has come to my kitchen and I may have to learn to cook all over again. It took the delivery guy and me several minutes to puzzle out how to turn on a burner. Heaven only know what kind of hoops I will have to jump through to get those ovens to cooperate.

I can't wait to dive in.

LSW

No comments: