Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sparring

There is a certain fellow who resides in the backyard who thinks he is outsmarting me.


When all is quiet on the deck and the dogs are inside, he jumps from the nearby tree and makes his way down the framework of the now-denuded canopy and helps himself to the contents of one of the bird feeders.



Three of the four bird feeders hanging from the canopy framework are presently full of safflower seeds. Squirrels do not care for safflower seeds.

But this one feeder is filled with corn kernals and sunflower seeds. Just the kind of thing that fills a little squirrel's heart with joy. Not to mention filling his little tummy to a pleasing roundness.

He thinks he is getting away with something. I can tell by the way he looks at me through the kitchen window and flicks his tail. I can tell by the way he lowers his head and gives me that "stop me if you think you can" look.

What he doesn't realize is that I put that feeder out there just for him. And for the lone Blue Jay who is frequenting our yard right now.

I'm not going to tell him. He's having too much fun outsmarting me.

Meanwhile, back inside, I think the cats are plotting something. See the telltale ear posture?

See the glazed, cross-eyed stare?

I may sleep with one eye open tonight.

LSW

No comments: