Tuesday, September 07, 2010

New Project

Many of you are aware that I have a secret hoard of dollhouse kits, not to mention the things to put in them if I ever get the things built. Lately I had begun to feel a sense of hopelessness with regard to those boxes of wood pieces. With the way my life has been going the last few years, I no longer have the time that is necessary to construct my little buildings. (I will have no problem keeping busy in my retirement years. All I will have to do is go to the garage and pull out another dollhouse kit.)

The problem is that I really don't care for the construction phase. I like the finishing and decorating phase. But you have to get the things built before you can get to the fun part. So, when the offer came from a friend of a friend a few weeks back to take on the construction phase of a kit or two, allowing me to jump right to the part of the process I like, I jumped at the chance. Today the first of the dollhouses came back home, ready for decorating.

My fingers are already itching to get to work.


Notice the stained glass?

There is even a bell in the belfry.

What I don't know yet is whether this will contain a church scene or whether I will follow the inspiration I received a couple of years back on a visit to Marion, Kentucky. The historical society in Marion has taken over a historic church and turned it into a museum. Lana and I really enjoyed poking through the museum for a couple of hours and while we enjoyed our surroundings, I kept thinking about the church dollhouse kit that was sitting in the corner of the garage. Maybe I will emulate the historical society and create a mini-museum.

I had never seen this particular kit assembled. I had only seen photos. I had no idea what a great dollhouse was hiding in that box in the corner of the garage. Clapboard siding effect is built into the walls. There is a circular window at the top center of the front and the back walls. The windows that march down the side have curved tops. The interior of the building has a cathedral ceiling. The roof and belfrey are covered in wooden shakes. From bottom floor to tip of the belfrey is almost 4 feet.

There is so much potential here. And my mind is abuzz with possibilities. First of all I have to decide what color this little country church is supposed to be.

Many thanks to Bob for the excellent job in assembling this dollhouse. He still has the Adirondack log cabin kit. I can't wait.

LSW



No comments: