Monday, April 05, 2010

Spring Vacation 2010, Day 7

All good things must come to an end and the last day of vacation fell on the eve of my birthday. It also just happened to be Easter Sunday. In honor of my impending birthday, little brother and sister-in-law made reservations at the Hyatt Lost Pines for their elaborate Easter brunch. From the highway entrance, you drive a good ways before reaching the hotel and on both sides of the road were the thickest and brightest bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes I've seen yet this season. I've always felt like bluebonnets and paintbrushes are my personal birthday presents from Mother Nature and she is outdoing herself this year.


The Hyatt knows how to put on an elaborate brunch. There was food to suit every palate, from salads to grilled vegetables to seafood to prime rib to omelets to French toast. We started with a bottle of champagne and proceeded to sample as many foods as we could hold. It was all fantastic and ended with a dessert bar that was to die for. Since everyone knows that birthday calories don't count, I threw caution to the wind and enjoyed myself thoroughly. We even had a band providing entertainment.

On the way out of the resort, we stopped for more flower pictures and then headed to McDade to check out a new Renaissance Faire that was winding up its first year.


The Sherwood Forest Faire has gotten off to a good start and I hope it will continue to grow and improve in the coming years. It reminded me and David of the early days of the Texas Renaissance Fair before that operation got so big that it lost much of its charm for us. We visited artists (I picked up a coffee mug and David got me a lovely hummingbird made of 5 different kinds of wood), listened to musicians, watched some belly dancers, met an owl and a vulture at the falconry exhibit, and in general just had a great time.

As a last vacation fling, I indulged in a henna tattoo. (It should be with me for a couple of weeks. That's as permanent a commitment I can make in the matter of body art.)

Spring Vacation 2010 was a definite success. Now I have to go back to work and rest up.

LSW

No comments: