Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's a Start

The last couple of weeks were a blur as I feverishly worked on getting the annual Frankum reunion newsletter completed. I've been fighting some deadline or another for the last month or so and this was the last of them for awhile. It was with relief that I finished the newsletter on Sunday afternoon, several days before I was set to deliver it to the reunion.

That done, I enjoyed a couple of days with nothing hanging over my head needing to be done. May is looming, the worst work month of the year for me, and I was glad to have a couple of days to catch my breath. Not that catching my breath is easy these days. The lush wildflower season has been wonderful, but it has also wrecked havoc with my allergies. I hate to see them fading, but I have this small hope that maybe I'll stop sneezing in another week or two.

I have been observing the small cluster of bluebonnets across the road from the house since they first put on their spring finery. This is the first time I have paid attention to what happens when the bloom begins to fade and the first time I have had the chance to watch the process up close instead of speeding past them on the highway.

The blooms are almost gone, but in their place are the seed pods. I am hoping I'm around when they burst and scatter their seeds for next year's crop. I've heard they make a noticeable popping sound when it happens and I think we are very, very close.


Yesterday evening when I got home from work, I decided to mow the yard/dandelion crop before I collapsed on the couch. I was zipping around the yard on the riding mower, carefully avoiding my few winecups, when I got a big surprise. There in the middle of the yard was a solitary bluebonnet plant and it was still in bloom.


I've tried many times to plant bluebonnet seeds and get a start of them in my yard and have had no luck at all. I've come to the conclusion that you have to let Nature take its course and I was delighted to find this Lone Bluebonnet waving in the breeze. I carefully mowed around it and hope that it will bear some strong seeds. Maybe next year there will be two or three more and in a few years I will have that stand of bluebonnets in my yard that I have always longed for.

One step at a time. It's my motto these days.

LSW

No comments: