Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Vacation 2010, Day 1

Today's goal was to obtain a marriage record from Caldwell County. I had a poor photocopy of the record that I had obtained from microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City years ago, but it was blurry and indistinct. I figured it was the best I could hope for, but last week I happened across the information that original marriage records were available through the Caldwell County Genealogical and Historical Society in Luling. I crossed my fingers for something better than I had and scheduled a trip to Luling for Day 1 of vacation.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the library had expanded the space dedicated to the Historical Society holdings to almost double what they had when I had last visited. I was lucky to happen in when a particularly knowledgeable and helpful volunteer was on duty and we chatted about genealogy in general and Caldwell County families in particular. We had common family connections, although no common bloodlines. I remarked how surprised I was that they had original records there and she told me that when the County Clerk's office had run out of room, they had offered custody of the old records to the society. In short order I had 5 crystal clear marriage records to replace the blurry copies in my files. One of them I needed to complete the proofs for my application for membership in the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, so I was quite pleased.

So long as I was writing a check, I decided to pick up the two volume set of Caldwell County history books as one of my birthday presents to myself. I enjoyed discussing various research avenues with the volunteer and then ran into another patron who was working on a DRT application who gave me some additional information about the application process.

Two big books of history and 5 marriage records - color me content.

One of the tips the volunteer had given me concerned indexes in the District Clerk's office that might solve a hole in my records, so I decided to go home by way of Lockhart. Fifteen minutes scanning indexes in the clerk's office did not solve the missing divorce record, but getting that index checked was worth the trip. By that time I was getting caved-in hungry, so I drove out to the Kreuz Market and indulged in a little bit of barbecue, Lockhart style.





Satisfied with the results of my day's errand, I headed home. Did I forget to mention that the entire round trip drive was studded with fields of brilliant bluebonnets, paintbrushes and phlox? It was mahvelous.

LSW

No comments: