Monday, April 20, 2009

Oops

I've been working on a newsletter in my mind for the last couple of weeks. The two hours I spend on the road everyday is good for mental composing of content and articles. Maybe it was that I was mulling on this afternoon.

Or, I had just stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few groceries to tide me over a couple of days until time for a major grocery trip. Maybe I was thinking about what I would be cooking for supper.

Or, maybe I was just enjoying listening to the Bertie Wooster story that was spinning out over the stereo.

Whatever I was thinking, my mind was preoccupied - until I realized I had just shot past a highway patrol car at a speed of about 75 mph.

Boom! I was back to earth and saying a few choice words as I let up on the accelerator, but it was too late. I watched him turn around and come after me. I said a few more choice words, but there was really no denying that he had caught me red-handed.

I've never had a speeding ticket in my life. I was not happy with myself. But I was resigned to accept the medicine. I apologized and admitted I had been day-dreaming.

So maybe I reminded him of his mother. Or, maybe he thought he had a hot rodder in a red sports car and was surprised to see a little old granny lady instead. Or, maybe he was amused when it took me 5 tries to find the insurance card that had not expired. (I really need to clean out the glove compartment.) Or, maybe he was just a nice guy.

He let me off with a warning and thanked me for being cordial about the whole thing.

Whew.

I think I will be using the cruise control for a few days.

LSW

2 comments:

david said...

Watch the heavy foot on that monster car.

RMG said...

"It's the little old lady from Pasadena..."