Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Not as it Seems

Once upon a time, a long time ago, when I was a whole lot younger than I am now,

Nipper and I had our photo taken standing on the Four Corners monument. This is the only place in the United States where 4 state boundaries meet. You can stand simultaneously in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.

Well, that's what we were led to believe.

This morning I heard a disturbing news story on NPR. It seems that the survey that placed the 4 corners location many years ago was faulty. A new survey has determined that the 4 corners location is actually 2-1/2 miles from this spot.

I feel betrayed. I assured Nipper that he was standing in 4 states at the same time, a rare feat for a little rat terrier from Texas. Oh, the disappointment!

The rest of the story is that they do not intend to change the location of the Four Corners monument. I guess it would be too much trouble to relocate all the little tourist stands with the tacky trinkets that border the monument.

Ah, well. Out in the endless Western desert, what's a piddling 2-1/2 miles anyway? I've been in all four states concerned and there's no way I would be able to tell the difference between this spot and the real spot. So, as far as I'm concerned, Nipper and I were standing in 4 states that day.

Ain't no way I'm going back to that desolate spot to get my photo taken in a more accurate location. It's all sand and scrub brush and hot out there. I was close enough.

LSW

1 comment:

RMG said...

Note the sno cone stand in the background. A money making venture.