Saturday, March 28, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?

Spring is here at last. When you see the lacy green of the mesquite make its appearance, you know the danger of hard freezes is over.

The prettiest green is that new Spring green. The oak trees along our dirt road are now fully leafed out and waving gently in the breeze.


With Spring comes the desire to plant things. It's been way too long since I've participated in the care of a real garden, but I hope that someday I will get to till up a patch of land and plant long rows of black-eyes peas, tomatoes and peppers once again.

The last few years I've been too tired to even contemplate patio gardening, but this year I decided I would get a couple of Sweet 100 tomato plants and see how they do in pots. I also wanted a sweet basil plant and have had the dickens of a time finding one this year. I found my Sweet 100s at the first place I looked about two weeks ago and they are coming along nicely. After checking all the obvious places that stock herbs and garden seedlings, I finally found a bedraggled little basil plant at the local Wal-Mart, of all places. It has taken its place on the patio.

I hope that along about the end of May I will be able to make spaghetti sauce with fresh basil and have fresh tomatoes in my salad. The odds of having a dewberry cobbler for dessert look slim, though. Not much happening with the wild dewberry vines this year.


My farmer genes just love to watch the crops grow.

LSW

No comments: