Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Floating in the Ozone

Yesterday was rather a bizarre day. When I was about half-way in to the office yesterday, I got a phone call that a transformer had blown at the office and most of the electrical power was out. After a brief debate with myself, I elected to drive on in and touch base and then run some errands while the repairs were being made. The first estimate was that power would probably be back by the next day. I figured I would be headed back home by lunch time.

But, surprise, before I had completed my third errand, I got the call that power had been restored. I was glad I was only 20 minutes away from the office. Some folks, convinced we were having an unexpected holiday, had to make the trek back from home.

Nothing like a little unexpected wrinkle in the day to throw your entire schedule off. I was at my desk by noon and the rest of the afternoon seemed to stretch interminably.

The drive home seemed to stretch interminably as well. However, I was pleasantly distracted by the banks and banks of clouds that stretched as far as the eye could see.

This morning I woke up in a foul humor, which worried the dogs until I realized they were watching me from the shadows, trying to decide if they were in trouble or not. I had to snap out of it and reassure them everything was ok. At least today is my day to work at home and I won't have a scattershot day like yeterday.

I'm just too old to climb out of my ruts happily. Sometimes surprises are good and sometimes they just foul up your day.

LSW

No comments: