Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Marking Time

Today I was sitting in the Ford waiting room while my oil was being changed. It's something I've been doing regularly for years, about every 2 months or so. I've become a regular and I know the service writers and they know me. This morning I was sitting there, looking out the window at the familiar view, and it suddenly struck me that today was probably the last time I would be there. I almost felt like I should go to each of the service writers and say goodbye.

I'm supposed to take custody of the new Prius on Friday, hopefully, or early next week, at the worst. It's close by, getting the satellite radio added in and the optional floor mats installed. Next week I become a Toyota driver, after a succession of Fords in my life.

It was when I was writing my check that I realized that tomorrow is September 11th. It is rather appropriate that I was having my oil changed this week. You see, I was sitting in the Ford waiting room while my oil was being changed on September 11, 2001. It was on their tiny, elevated television in the waiting room that I watched the first news reports coming in about the airplane that struck the first tower. I was watching that very tv as the second airplane struck the second tower.

For as long as I live, whenever I think about September 11, 2001, I will automatically think about sitting in that waiting room with the other folks waiting on their car maintenance and the total silence that hit the room when we realized it was not an accident. As the news reports came in, we were joined by the service staff and the salesmen from next door. The room was full and nobody was saying a word.

Moments we remember. September 11, 2001, I was having my oil changed. Who knew how much our lives would be changed that day?

LSW

No comments: