Monday, August 18, 2008

Soul Food, Part 2

Another recipe for fried potatoes that seems to exist only within the family is what we refer to as "Dirty Potatoes" and I believe it was my mother who invented it. If you put a plate of Dirty Potatoes in front of my brother and me, we will eat until we can't move.

First you cut your potatoes into rectangular cubes, about 1/2-inch thick by 3/4-inch long. Next you mix up some cornmeal (white or yellow, but yellow is best) and salt and pepper to taste. Wet down your potatoes with a little milk and then toss with the cornmeal mixture. Fry until golden brown.

Messy as all get out to cook. Larrupin' good and well worth the effort. Nowadays we avoid Dirty Potatoes because we have developed a tendency to middle-aged spread. If I'm ever told I have only a few weeks to live, I shall eat chicken-fried steak, dirty potatoes and apple pie ala mode until the end comes.

LSW

No comments: