Friday, August 08, 2008

Pleasant Literary Surprises

You know those books that you've always intended to read and never quite got around to doing so? One of the ones on my list is Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. I had a copy in my possession for a long time, but it's long since disappeared and I never got around to reading it. I always figured it would be like any other classic - good, but terrible work to read.

Awhile back I found a copy in the discount audiobooks and picked it up, figuring that someday I would work up the want to to give it a try. This was the week and I'm about half-way through. I am completely enthralled to the point of wishing the commute was a little longer. I should have read the thing back when I was a kid.

If you've ever pondered reading Treasure Island or are a fan of the Pirates of the Carribbean movie franchise, get thee a copy posthaste. It's a keeper.

A second book I've thoroughly enjoyed recently was an impulse audiobook buy, I Feel Bad About My Neck, by Nora Ephron. Ephron was the creative juice behind the movies You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, and When Harry Met Sally. I know, they are chick flicks, and I personally despise the second one but I love the other two. Anyway, the book consists of essays about her life, about being a woman, and about aging. The woman is funny and truthful. She passes along a journalistic observation from her mother, "everything is copy". Which is definitely something I can attest to. When you begin focusing on keeping a journal/blog, you begin to see stories in even the most mundane events around you. Blogging has helped me stop seeing everything around me as boring or aggravating and helped me find the spark of interest or humor in even the dullest situation.

The rest of the week was a dreary series of chores and work frustrations, but the commutes have been a complete enjoyment thanks to two very different and very good books.

LSW

No comments: