Saturday, June 21, 2008

Inspiration, Perspiration, Aggravation

Being newly inspired after last weekend's trip to get my office in better shape, I started out early this morning rearranging everything. Before I moved all the furniture, I emptied out my file cabinet and decided to flip through all the folders of old research before they went back in. I was amazed at how much garbage I was holding onto. I filled a Hefty bag with old census searches, mailing list messages and odds and ends that I had dealt with long ago and no longer needed. I fixed the balky bottom drawer of my antique file cabinet. I polished my desk, the file cabinet, and the work table. In short, I worked myself down and I'm not quite done yet. At least I got all the research material that I felt needed a new study segregated into one box to go through slowly, with the intention of either filing it in the appropriate family notebook or trashing it. It does not go back into the file cabinet.

In the midst of all this hustle and bustle, I removed a full load of old sheets and blankets that have been stacked in the corner of the office to the thrift store. Another day like this one and I will be in good shape to hit the research again.

After the trip to the thrift store, I went in search of some take out that would tide Mother over for the day and keep me from having to cook. But, before that, I made a swing through the HEB drive in to pick up some prescription refills.

Hence the aggravation. I was informed that 3 of the 4 I had called in were not eligible to be filled until mid-July. Hogwash, I said. I checked all those dates and knew they were due to be filled. The little girl who was waiting on me was so new she was eager to "check on it" for me. To make a long story short, I had just about the entire pharmacy looking into the computer with confused looks on their faces. Dash, dash they went all over the place for about ten minutes. The pharmacist herself came over to tell me that something was odd and they were checking on it. Ten more minutes and they had the story. A computer crash that had happend at the insurance company in the midst of posting our account.

They scrambled and got me two of my prescriptions, but the rest they did not have available. So I get to go back tomorrow.

To add insult to injury, the rain cloud I watched approaching in the distance while I was waiting had the gall to bypass Bastrop.

I have an almost organized office, a tired body and half my prescriptions. I guess that's not too bad for a Saturday. The dogs think it's time we head to bed.

LSW

No comments: