Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cemetery Update

Last year I mentioned a small cemetery that rests in the center of a large field just outside Norman's Crossing. Last year the field was planted in corn and I could not even see the cemetery until it was harvested. I had intended to go back and get photos of the stones, but my timing was always wrong. If I had my camera, the soil was too muddy to make the trek out to the middle of the field. If the soil was dry, I had left my camera at home.

But today I was running a little bit early on the trip home, I had my camera and the field was dry. I hiked out to get photos and got a surprise. Between last year and this year someone had done some restoration work. The photo I took from a distance last year clearly shows a barbed wire fence and tumbled tombstones. Today the cemetery has been newly fenced and all the stones have been repaired.


The field this year is planted in cotton and the little cemetery is quite picturesque surrounded by the healthy plants. It has been a long time since I've walked down rows of a full field of plants. I can remember riding in the back seat of the car as we cruised around the farm lands around San Gabriel when I was about 5 years old. I was always intrigued by the undulating motion of the rows of plants as the car sped by.

Someone with as much farming heritage as I have could not help but find such a sight beautiful. I was really tempted to take my shoes off and walk out to the cemetery barefoot. Is there anything more satisfying than the feel and smell of freshly plowed dirt?

These folks have a really nice place to spend eternity. I'm so very glad that someone cared enough to spend the time restoring this little cemetery.

LSW

No comments: