Friday, May 23, 2008

Back to our regular program

FREE AT LAST! The May work crunch is off my desk and the remnants are working their way through the printing process. By Wednesday of next week, the whole thing should be behind us.

Fifty-eight electronic files and three manual entry files processed in a little over two weeks. I even squeezed in a refresher round of manual entry myself while I watched tv this past Wednesday night.

Just in time to enjoy a 3-day holiday weekend without anticipating the need for a last minute sprint to the finish line.

I've lived through another May.

Now I can sift back through email and snail mail and spend some time reminding myself of good things that came my way while I was buried. Like this original decorative wedding certificate issued to my grandparents in 1928, a document I had no idea still existed:


It is worn and tattered, but it is the real thing. Many, many thanks to Cousin Amanda for sending this treasure to me for inclusion in the family archives. I never cease to be amazed at the wonderful things that have been tucked away for decades and then suddenly come to light and fill us genealogists with joy and hope that more family treasures are safely in the hands of relatives who kept them from ending up in wastebaskets and landfills. Forget raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Old documents are my favorite things.

I'm so very glad to be back where I want to be. At my desk. Surrounded by piles of old documents. Bliss.

LSW

No comments: