Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Amber Waves of Grain

Last Saturday I had cause to travel my old commute route on Highway 71 to Austin. You know what? I don't miss it. I don't miss the heavy traffic. I don't miss the construction mess where the new toll road is coming in at Del Valle. I don't miss the traffic lights. Quite frankly, I don't miss Austin. In the 1970s I thought Austin was a fabulous town. Now, not so much. Too many people. Too much construction. Too many lofts.

If you look closely, the core of Austin is still special. But all the garbage you have to wade through to find the special just takes too much energy and I'm not getting any younger.

So, I am enjoying my present commute with new appreciation this week. I am watching the new corn growing a foot every day. I am watching the new cotton crop barely peeking above the ground. And I am enjoying the golden fields of grain that are waving gently in the breeze. It was a challenge to find a place where I could park safely and get up close and personal, but it was worth the search. (For the record, this field is just north of the SPJST hall in Elgin.)






Amber waves of grain, indeed. Beautiful.

LSW

No comments: