Friday, February 29, 2008

Brain Freeze

Ok, if any of you read the last post in the early afternoon yesterday, I left out the phrase "cell phone" that was essential for my mini-rant to make sense. Jeez, I'm getting forgetful these days.

New favorite quote from a David Sedaris novel - his mother's welcome to David's teacher on a home visit to discuss his obsessive compulsive disorder: "Gawd, you look like I need a drink!".

If you haven't discovered David Sedaris, let me say he's hysterical but weird. It may be that he's an acquired taste, so he might not be everyone's cup of tea. However, if you have an open mind to the idea of an author who is an openly gay man in the entertainment business and who grew up in a dysfunctional (and I mean that in the most humorous sense) family, give him a try. I am currently listening to Naked on my morning commute and periodically shooting coffee out my nose. About a month ago I was listening to Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim and feeling mildly depressed about his sad childhood, when I hit a spot in the book that had me laughing so hard I hurt. By the time I got home, I was heaving to get a breath and had tears streaming down my face. I looked like a wreck, but it felt great to laugh like that.

The scary thing about this book is that I can see where I could easily have developed obsessive compulsive disorder. I think I'm glad I didn't, but then on the other hand I might have had a cleaner house.

LSW

No comments: