Friday, September 21, 2007

Just a Cotton-Pickin' Minute

I'm still watching the cotton crop with the fascination of someone who has never been aware of the process before. When the defoliant was applied and all the leaves started dying, I at first thought it was an ugly sight. But now that the dead leaves have pretty much dropped and nothing is left but white puffs of cotton, it's rather pretty.


The harvesting equipment is lumbering down the country roads this week and where there is cotton in the morning, there is usually bare field with white dust in the afternoon. Today I spotted a cotton gin, so I drove down for a closer look. When I stepped out for the picture, the air was a hazy white from all the cotton dust that was flying around.


Soft little white balls of fluff. I could not resist pulling some off a branch to experience the texture. Even full of cotton seed, there's a pleasing softness.

I am reminded of a place where I bought a T-shirt online. SOS From Texas is a place you can get shirts made from organically grown Texas cotton. As Martha would say, "it's a good thing".

LSW

No comments: