Monday, June 11, 2007

Thoughts Philosophical

You can't go home again.

True, for the most part. I attended an all Smiley High School reunion last Saturday night, but not in Smiley. There's no place to have a big gathering in Smiley {in summer heat, anyway}. So we all trouped over to Seguin. We had representatives from almost every class from the early 1950s to the last official graduating class in 1983, before Smiley and Nixon school districts merged. My class of 1972 was well represented, with almost half of us attending. (Sounds impressive until I tell you there were 20 graduates in 1972.)

Some folks I recognized by virtue of the fact that in 35 years they have become their parents. Sort of a Through the Looking Glass effect. It's amazing to me how your mind will sort out details and identify someone you haven't seen in a long, long time. One of my classmates I recognized by the way she was standing, well before she turned around and I could see her face.

The bonds of common memories are strong. With five decades of graduates assembled, when we sang the school song, Alma Mater, we all without hesitation dove into the S-S-S-M-I, L-L-L-E-Y cheer that was the traditional followup. Several alumni spoke about teachers we all had in common. Miss Reba Bundick, who I have written about before, taught 3 generations of Smiley kids and when the question was posed how many there had Miss Reba for a teacher - well, the entire room raised their hands. Some held up two fingers because they had her in the first grade and the fourth grade.

While I knew that a possible reunion was in the works, the actual date and invitations were sent out only a month ago. How glad am I that I was down 30 pounds and looking lean and mean? If you are going to see your old high school flames, it sure is nice not to have to worry about carrying around extra weight. I had several comments on how well I looked. As we lined up for our class photo, I remarked that it had been a long time since I was around so many tall men. Just about every male in my high school class was over 6-feet tall. Just about every male I work with is barely over 5-foot, 9-inches. Sure is a remarkable contrast.

A good time was had by all and we plan to do it again in three years. I'm guessing it won't be in Smiley, but home is where your heart is and where you are with people you love.


Thoughts on a good dog.

The wound of losing Xana is still pretty raw, but time is helping. Playing with my two little ones every afternoon in the side yard is helping, too. I was so preoccupied with nursing Xana and keeping her from over-exerting herself in recent years that my two babies did not know that Mommy could run and rough-house with them. They are beginning to enjoy chasing me, being chased, chasing each other, and rolling and tumbling over in the grass and inviting me to rub their tummies.

Cousin Robert sent me some dog quotes and I share a couple that really spoke to me:

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.-Ben Williams

Ain't it the truth?

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!-Anne Tyler

I got a big kick out of this one. My dogs meet me when I bring in the groceries and they dive to the bottom of the sacks taking inventory and wiggling their little stubs in satisfaction when they smell the new meat supply. They think I'm wonderful.

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.-Ann Landers

What does she know?

LSW

No comments: