Friday, October 27, 2006

Lost

Tomorrow is the start of my fall vacation. And yes, it involves genealogy. But there will be no libraries or dusty archives or damp courthouses this time around. Probably no cemeteries, but I'm not guaranteeing that one.

About 200 of the genealogical persuasion are embarking on a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise. We are congregating in Florida and will set sail about 5PM on Sunday afternoon. We will visit Cococay in the Bahamas, Charlotte Amalie on Saint Thomas, and Phillipsburg on Saint Maartens. When we are not exploring tropical islands, we will be discussing various aspects of genealogical research while at sea on board the Mariner of the Seas.

Up to now I've not really had the desire to visit tropical islands. Given the choice between Hawaii and Banff National Park in Canada, I would head to the mountains. However, I must admit that 3 seasons of Lost have me curious about lush, isolated islands. Hopefully we won't encounter any buried hatches or misplaced polar bears, but I do hope to walk sandy shores and wade in clear blue pools and get to know some new people.

I'm traveling without the laptop this time. We will have some Internet access on board and I will try to post an entry here and there to let you know that we're not really lost. But for the most part we plan to disconnect for a week and just enjoy our surroundings.

Sure hope there's a Jack or Sawyer on board. Life would be so much more interesting if there were.

LSW

No comments: