Monday, June 19, 2006

It's All About Her

I was standing at the counter at The Container Store, 2nd in line, when the relative peace was shattered by the gal behind me.

"WELL YOU SEE I'M IN A RELATIONSHIP RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T WANT TO HURT HIM....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....I...I...I...RELATIONSHIP....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....ME...ME...
BLAH, BLAH...."

Cell phones, drat them. I will admit that I carry on a certain amount of personal business in public. However, even if I'm in line to pay, when I get a call from a doctor or someone where the data exchanged is of a personal nature, I move over to a deserted corner and conduct my personal business in as much privacy as I can muster in a public place.

But some folks act as if they are in the "cone of silence", unable to be heard by anyone else but the person on the other end of the phone.

True story. About a month ago I was at the outlet mall in San Marcos. I found it advisable to seek out the ladies room. As I was sequestered in my personal space, another lady came in, took the stall next door, and talked nonstop the entire time she was there. At first I thought a third person had arrived with her and they were talking through the stall walls. It soon became evident that she was chatting blithely away on her cell phone while conducting her personal business. I mean, really. Ick.

Remember the good old days when you would rather die than admit to another person that you ever had the need to use the bathroom facilities? Nowadays you can find out all manner of things about people's marriages, sex life, medical problems and the like by simply standing next to them in the checkout line.

I really don't want to know, thank you.

LSW

No comments: