Monday, July 18, 2005

Hell Hath no Fury

You have not seen high dudgeon until you have seen a very little dog who has just had a needle jabbed in his butt. He was incensed and he let everyone in the room know it. At least he didn't blame me. Then. Later on when I absent-mindedly picked him up and put my thumb on his sore spot - well, then he blamed me. It's something when a dog with a short stub manages to tuck his tail between his legs and look at you balefully. Broke my heart.

But we are friends again. And the good news is he is in perfect health and now weighs 2.8 pounds. Sister Coco is now 4.4 pounds and weathered her rabies vaccination with no problem. She's done for now, but Mojo has to go back in 3 weeks for another shot. I may wait in the hall next time. That little boy has got my number.

In other news, my copy of the new Harry Potter book arrived today. Probably be August before I get a chance to read it. I continue to be amazed at the uproar that accompanies the release of each book in the series. One pious fellow interviewed in the Austin paper ripped the books apart and then admitted he had never read any of them. Probably a Republican. They are used to spouting opinions on things they know nothing about. God forbid they should make an informed decision on anything.

What's funny is that the plot thread of this series is similar to the Star Wars saga. Good vs. evil. Young protagonist vs. former great warrior gone wrong. You don't see the religious nuts picketing the movie houses. And all because the stories have a background of wizards and magic. For Pete's sake, did any of us suffer moral decay because we watched Mary Poppins or The Sword in the Stone or The Wizard of Oz or Bedknobs and Broomsticks? Not to mention years of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Apparently today's kids can't tell truth from fantasy. What a tempest in a teapot.

I think the real issue is that the naysayers are jealous. J. K. Rowling is a gifted writer with a real knack for characterization. In another's hands the story would be a stale remake of a tried and true formula. The lady is an artist and deserves to reap the rewards of her talent and hard work. I plan to enjoy every word. Those who have their noses in the air, sniffing disapprovingly, deserve to miss the fun.

The babies have snuggled down and are fast asleep. I think I will follow suit.

LSW

No comments: